Your friend just had a baby, and you’re going visit her and meet her newest family member. Do you bring something? Not bring something? A gift for her or the baby? These are all things I ask myself before visiting. I don’t think that there is a right or wrong answer to this question. It’s a personal choice, and ultimately you know what is the best decision for you. But in case you do want to bring something but are stumped on what to bring, I have compiled a list of my favorite gifts to give and to receive. Personally, I love bringing something but that could be because my love language is gift giving.
Gift Ideas for Mom
- Food. Coffee. Food and coffee are always a safe bet for a new mom! We all know the hospital food isn’t the best, and it’s important for a new mom to eat so that she can feed her baby (or just herself). The sleep in the hospital is terrible, at best, so caffeine is a yes for sure, Plus, she just gave birth to a tiny human, so treat yo’self!
- Gift cards. These can be used however mom needs them. Whether she needs things she forgot to pack and sends the husband or orders food in for herself, a gift card is a safe bet.
- Flowers / Edible Arrangements / Cookies. I don’t think you can ever go wrong with treats either. Those personalized cookies? Absolutely precious. Edible arrangements? Sign me up and don’t tell my big kids. And flowers always brighten up a drab and grey hospital room.
- Basket of snacks. The hunger after birth is real and a basket of snacks? That would be helpful! Something to grab real quick in between visitors and taking care of herself and her new baby. Bonus: you wouldn’t have to go anywhere because it is right there.
Gift Ideas for Baby
- Outfits and accessories. There aren’t many cuter things in my mind than little newborn baby clothes. Not finding out the gender of the baby until birth has been really popular in the last couple years, so if your friend was in this camp, a gender specific outfit would definitely be a hit!
- Diapers and wipes. You can never, ever have too many diapers and wipes.
- Sibling book. If your friend has big kids, a book about welcoming a new sibling is a really unique idea to bring them!
I am sensing a theme here … apparently I really like food as gifts. Honestly, though, don’t feel pressure to bring anything at all. Your friend will just be happy to see a smiling and familiar face and to show off that sweet new bundle of love!
If you do bring something, you don’t have to spend a whole bunch of money either. It’s the thought that counts!