Until recently my nickname was pretty easy, “Mom, Momma, Trace (short for Tracy), etc.
Lately, though, I have noticed I have seemed to have acquired a new nickname, “Buzzkill.”
The nickname flashes in my head like a brightly lit neon sign when I walk in a room, and my kiddos and their father get “that look” when they see me. You know the look … the “I don’t know whether to laugh or run” look. Or maybe it’s the “She’s totally going to freak out” look.
Sometimes I just sigh, and go ahead and admit defeat and tell them Buzzkill has entered the room.
Here are 10 reasons why I am called “Buzzkill” in our house:
1. Going swimming that day does not constitute a bath.
2. Yelling “1978 Style!” does not give the kids the right not to wear a seatbelt.
3. Moon Pies and root beer are not a proper dinner -especially for consecutive days.
4. Letting kids touch sharp objects is not a “Life lesson.”
5. Loudly burping or farting in public is not a “Part of life” and/or okay.
6. The bottom and / or sleeve of a shirt is not an acceptable tissue.
7. Using a wash cloth to wipe teeth is not an acceptable replacement for brushing teeth.
8. Random squirts of whipped cream or Cheez Whiz from the fridge does not constitute not a snack.
9. The “Sniff Test” on clothing is not an “excellent” indicator of cleanliness.
10. “Because it is day time,” does not make Bourbon Street kid-friendly.