Single Kid, Double Cart: Don’t Do It

Final ImageI hesitate to write this post because I know it will annoy some people, but I have a serious pet peeve. You know those race car carts at Whole Foods? The only ones in the store that have seating for 2 children? When I see you put your 1 child in the double cart, it enrages me and makes me think that you are selfish. I have three children who range in age from 5 to 7 months. I have many days where I have to take them all of them to Whole Foods for groceries alone. Most times, there is a double cart available, which makes my shopping trip just a tad bit easier. There are days, though, when there is 1 double cart left, and as I am hustling all 3 kids to grab it, a person with a single child casually walks over and takes it despite seeing me struggle towards it. Situations like that make me see red.

When there are no double carts, it means that I have to put two kids in the basket of a regular cart and somehow find room to put the groceries in as well without the bananas getting squished. It also means I have to constantly police the kids from opening up all the food and eating it since it’s literally in their laps. And because the kids are in close quarters in a regular cart, it means the likelihood of a fight increases 435%.

I understand the argument that you don’t want to “deprive” your precious child of the “fun” double race car cart. Here is what I say, though: “This is not a ride at Disney World.” The race car grocery cart has a function, and that function is to hold TWO children while the parent shops. Furthermore, have you ever pushed that gigantic cart through Whole Foods? If I only had one child with me, there is no way we would be using that beast of a cart for logistics and bulkiness alone.

Shopping with three kids is hard; I basically look like a traveling circus, and I’m okay with that. But the double cart is one of the things that makes my shopping trip just a little more manageable. I wish the double carts at Whole Foods were like the ones at Costco – no frills with a focus on functionality – but they are not.

Single children go in single carts. Save the double cart for families that have two or more children.

35 Responses to Single Kid, Double Cart: Don’t Do It

1. Stacey August 20, 2015 at 6:20 am #

Oh my god yes! Trying to convince my 4 year old that her little brother HAS to go in the seat and she must either walk or be in the basket is almost impossible and most times results in a meltdown. Moms of one child: Please be empathetic of mothers with 2 or more. Please!

• Danielle August 22, 2015 at 10:21 am #

I never comment on stuff, and I try not to get offended by things I read on the Internet, because there’s no point. But man did you stomp on my toes. I have ONE child (and am lucky to have him period). He is 3. You best believe that we utilize those carts, if that’s what helps me get through my shopping. That’s his favorite part about visiting the grocery store. First come, first serve, whether you have one child or TEN. Just because someone may have more children than someone else, does not mean their parenting struggles are any different. If you were angry when you wrote this post, you should’ve cooled off before posting it for the world to see. If you wanted to complain, do so in private with your friends or something, because there are much worse things to complain about than this…especially when you’re posting it for the world to see. Get over it!

2. Tonya August 20, 2015 at 6:54 am #

How old are your kids? Mine are 4 and 5 and they walk wherever we go. Those seats are for toddlers who can’t walk. Sounds like it might be time to introduce your older kids of the responsibility of moving their own bodies through life. Parents who schlep their able-bodied children around in carts and strollers are one of my pet peeves. Like, do they still need pacifiers and diapers as well?

3. Melissa August 20, 2015 at 7:01 am #

Maybe the store should get some standaed double carts. Why should the only double carts be the ones that would incite my three year old to have a meltdown monster temper tantrum that causes me to go home without shopping at all? I pray that all of those carts are taken at the store so that I can use a standard one, but even that is risky since he knows those stupid carts are there and a meltdown is still possible.

But I get it, it is easier to blame other moms than it is to blame the store for creating that situation in the first place.

4. Erin August 20, 2015 at 7:49 am #

I never thought of it that way, so in the future I will be more careful and note the carts…..BUT……I chose that cart because it faces forward and my child will not sit facing me and the wheel keeps him busy. Have you considered wearing the 7 month old in a baby carrier?

5. ashley August 20, 2015 at 8:22 am #

I see your point about a parent basically swiping a cart put from under you. That is oblivious, rude, and even selfish. Being considerate is what makes thw qorld go ’round – i get that. In the instance you describe it would be a great leaening ppportunitybfor a kid to see a parent being considerate. However, if I’m at the grocery store and there’s a race car cart fully available… I’ll probably take it. If there’s a line to the restroom at the airport and the only available stall is handicapped – do you take it? Of course you do. You keep the line moving even though a handicapped person may come up 3 minutes after you walk in. As much as you like to keep your child occupied in the store – so do I. If a completely single person takes the race car cart… now that’s just crazy, but if it were the only cart left when he walked up – I’d still cut him some slack.

6. Lea August 20, 2015 at 10:10 am #

I have to say that I have never written back on a post before. I did feel this required a comment.
    I read these blogs and truly enjoy them and feel as though good information is given to help give support to the moms of NOLA. However, I feel this blog was posted out of anger, frustration and not constructive. I 100% agree with the blogger that if someone sees you with numerous children for God sake give you that basket, otherwise it is very rude and disrespectful.
    Coming from being a mom with one child, my son also likes the fun race car basket. Just because there are single kids doesn’t mean they don’t deserve the fun cart too. These carts also keep only child kids happy and entertained during the sometimes dreadful grocery shopping.
    I would imagine shopping with three children is very difficult. I am sure having a 5 year-old in a basket does take a lot of room away from putting groceries in the cart. However as moms we know we can’t always do our shopping without our kiddos. I think most would pray for time to shop without the kids and think of this as a getaway. I also think I am not alone when I say that I pray before getting out the car that the experience is quick and happy.
    I hope you have better experiences and get your cart so that you don’t post blogs such as these. These are hurtful to most moms with one child or moms who can’t have more than one and want their kid to have fun and/or just be entertained enough to make it through the grocery shopping. I don’t think anyone goes for a real adventure and goals of taking carts away from moms with more than one child. I also don’t blame the store. I hope it gets better for you, I kind of felt bad for you after this post
    Take Care, Lea

• Carla August 20, 2015 at 12:42 pm #

I wholeheartedly agree with you have written but I never read this blog before (and I won’t start now).

I was nothing short of lucky to have the family of my dreams (2 kids) but it was a rough road to get here so I sympathize greatly with you if you wanted more.

Sure if a mom is juggling 3, I would give up the cart and go on my way. But when I have multiple errands to run, my 2 fully capable of walking kids will sit quietly in that car cart so yes, I’ll take it if it’s free.

Take a deep breath Megan- I’m sure you’re a wonderful mom and have a nice following where you are but this post absolutely rubbed me the wrong way.

7. Celeste August 20, 2015 at 10:20 am #

I have to disagree. I have a two-year old and while I try my hardest to get my errands done on an off day if I have to take him to the grocery with me, I am looking for the race car cart. This means he will be occupied and happy while I furiously shop to get in and out as fast as possible – 15 minutes – TOPS. In a regular cart he has the opportunity to stand up in the front basket, or I will spend 15 minutes arguing with him that no, he can’t get out and walk or to make a choice. I’m not a monster – if I see another family moving that way I will relinquish the cart, but if we walk up and no one else is there I’m grabbing it. I never, ever saw them as being for more than one child – just as for children.

8. Karen August 20, 2015 at 11:33 am #

I’m sorry you feel so much frustration about this that you felt the need to write a blog solely about carts. I have four kids, and I can honestly say I have never had that thought run through my head. Should Whole Foods put up a sign that says, “Carts reserved for people with more than one child”?? Ridiculous. You need to find more important things to be upset about.

9. Lacie August 20, 2015 at 12:26 pm #

I have two kids, but only one still rides. He’s 5 and he’s autistic. He’ll sit in the forward facing cart, but not a regular one. I’m not going to stop because you’re complaining about it.

Moreover, this entire post is trivial and idiotic. You, Madam, need to get a life.

• Brenda August 20, 2015 at 11:40 pm #

“Moreover, this entire post is trivial and idiotic.”

This. Exactly.

I can’t believe Nolamoms even allowed this nonsense to be published.

10. Leslie August 20, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

Here’s an even better solution: get yourself a glass of wine… Heck, maybe even a whole bottle… and make your husband take the kids to get your groceries at Walmart while you take a nice long bath. Sounds like you’re in serious need of a mommy break. Your hubby & kids would probably have more fun shopping at Wally World instead of stuffy old Whole Foods anyway. There he could shove ’em all in a regular buggy & no one would even bat an eye.

11. Ivy August 20, 2015 at 4:25 pm #

I think your beef is really with Whole Foods. It seems like you could probably call Customer Service and explain your situation and have them reserve a Race Car Double Cart for you in advance of your shopping trip. Other than that, the double wheel “fun” shopping carts should be first come first serve. If you’ve got 3 kids in tow….my bet is you aren’t going to be standing in the beauty aisle testing their organic and politically correct make up lines. That being said you’ve probably got to plan and strategize your visit to the WF more than most, so taking that extra step to reserve a cart should help you to not get peeved about other parents using the cart.

12. Christine August 21, 2015 at 7:10 am #

Without even looking at your list of previous posts, I knew you must have been the writer who complained about a stranger disciplining their child. Legitimate question: do you hear how you sound? Next time one of your children whines about something, listen to what they are whining about and then come back and read this post or that one I mentioned. I think you will find they are not all that different. The difference is: you are an adult. Grow up and stop being so incredibly entitled and self-involved. Teach your children to love others and put other people’s needs and feelings over their own through your own example. I understand that these are blog posts and not your entire life. You will probably be offended and laugh that I am giving you parenting advice via the internet on how “you are such an awful mom and person” and “I don’t know your life” and “she must think she’s a perfect mom.” So, in that case, carry on. Keep on believing that I am internet mommy troll who doesn’t have a life and doesn’t know what you go through. I just hope any tiny piece of this stays in your mind and encourages you to focus on more important things than getting angry at someone who has no idea they took the cart you so whole-heartedly believe you are entitled to using. Also, your children have legs. Teach them to stay by you or come back when you tell them to do so. I believe in you!

13. Jane August 21, 2015 at 8:13 am #

“The cart has a function, and that function is to hold TWO children while the parent shops”.
    Huh? I’m sorry, but you are wrong… The function of the cart is to hold UP TO TWO children.

I have a 2 and a 3 y/o and we use the cart when it’s available. When it is not, my 2 kids know that they need to use the single cart, and they understand and behave… If they don’t it’s not the mom with 1 kid’s problem, it is MY problem.

• Jana August 21, 2015 at 10:44 am #

Amen!! My singleton loves riding in these carts, but if it’s not available we adjust and move on with our shopping trip. We’ve taught her that she can’t throw a fit over this and I am fully capable of shopping without it too. If it’s there–hip hip hooray!

14. Jessica August 21, 2015 at 8:56 am #

I have three children… Three kids under three… Yes the car carts make life easier but I also have taught my three year old she can walk of needed. Does it make the shopping trip much longer?? YES! If you see a person with multiple kids try to be considerate. If my kids has a tantrum I let them! My life does not stop because they are unhappy. Do other people stare, yup and they can stare all they want I need to buy food to feed my family and there are not enough double carts. Life can go on!

15. Lisa August 21, 2015 at 8:56 am #

Well this looks familiar.. https://www.scarymommy.com/multi-kid-shopping-carts-are-for-families-with-more-than-one-kid/

:eyeroll:

16. Dani August 21, 2015 at 9:20 am #

Hey we have all been there! I have even tried to shop with a toddler and preschooler while I was on a foot scooter and it did not end well but guess what we have to make the best of it. It can be any number of things that could make a shopping trip with kids go horribly wrong. Hungry, tired, busy, & just because I want to see my mom lose it seem to top the list of reasons for us. This doesn’t need to be a lesson in consideration for the other parent who should have offered you the cart. They were probably wrapped up in their day too. This needs to be a lesson for you “wishes or weeds”. I use that phrase because I keep reminding my kids to stop feeding the weeds and looking at the negative. Shout out to Facing West they have a song Wishes or Weeds;)
    Are you annoyed when you go to the bathroom and a mom with one kids used the handicap stall before the restroom had a line? A little throw back “don’t hate the playa hate the game.” I can apply to so many situations and this being one! The stores only have 3 maybe 4 of those awesome car buggies. Why don’t you get made at them for not having more available for families? Why get mad at other moms who just like you are struggling to get through their day the best they can? You don’t know their situation and frankly it shouldn’t matter. Those carts don’t have a cue like Disney with pairs to the left and to the right a sign that reads “Single rider line only.” Nope. They are first come first serve. You got your panties all in a twist about the buggy. Guess what we have all been in that situation. All kids love that buggy. Heck if my 9 yr old could get her butt in their she would. It is a diversion tactic — kid faces forward to see the world around them, has steering wheel for interaction and play. Frankly at 5 yrs old you should be teaching your little one to walk beside you. They can easily grab that box of oatmeal and things from the list to help mommy. 7 months I would never have put my child in one of those. They are awkward with little support, and really germy. Babywear that little tyke and guess what that leaves you with a solo rider…. Maybe you need the single cart?
    This post was a childish entitled rant. That time could have been better spent writing to WF and asking for more car buggies or perhaps a family shopping weekly event? Kids can pick up a balling when they get there or get stickers before the darn checkout line. Keep families with kids entertained while shopping.

17. Rachel August 21, 2015 at 10:46 am #

LOL. I cannot help but laugh at how self-centered and entitled this entry is. This is ridiculous. Why should your shopping experience be easier than mine just because you have more than one kid? That cart makes your day a little easier, and guess what? It makes mine a little easier as well. She loves those things. They keep her occupied and help me get out of there quickly. If you have to rely on a special cart to get through shopping, maybe you should figure something else out.

I promise you I will not tell my 2 year old, “Sorry babe, you have to sit in the boring single seat buggy because a special mommy with more than 1 kid MAY come shopping and need it more than you do.” Nope not happening.

Now, if I saw a mom of +1 coming to get a buggy at the same time, I would gladly part the way for her to get it. My kid gets she can’t always get what she wants. Sounds like she could teach you a thing or 2.

18. Kate August 21, 2015 at 12:37 pm #

I have two children under 3yo, and I will still use the race car cart when I go to the store with only my oldest, because he is a child. A child who LOVES riding in the fun car cart. A child who doesn’t understand why we can use the fun car cart when we’re there with little brother but not when it’s just the two of us.

I hate the car cart. It’s a pain in the butt to push around. But it makes my child’s day. So if there’s one available, I’m going to use it.

If taking all of your kids to the store is such a challenge, have you tried wearing them? I’ve worn both of my children – the baby on front and toddler on back – in the grocery store at times and it does make the whole trip a lot easier for me.

19. S August 21, 2015 at 2:16 pm #

Wow! I’m speechless.

Another self entitled, self centered, all about me mom blogger. Maybe you should teach your children how to walk & behave like children their age instead of bitching about a cart & other parents. People like you are what is wrong with this world.

20. Mark August 21, 2015 at 8:26 pm #

I just love that every time this blog has a “don’t shame mommies” post, y’all follow it up with a post that shames mommies.

21. tiffany August 22, 2015 at 5:14 am #

Um… Who’s selfish? So bc you chose to have multiple children you are the only one allowed to use the car cart? When you take those three children to the restroom do you stay out of the handicap stall because it was only intended for handicap individuals? Those items have multiple intended uses and though very useful for multichildren families or handicap individuals, they also have additional uses! Such as occupying small children when in a store! Maybe those times when there is no car carts is a good time to teach children about how to walk & behave in a grocery store and lessons in life about how we don’t always get what you want & to roll with the punches! After all isn’t that what we ALL do when there are no car carts for our kids when we get to the store?

22. Megan (not the blogger) August 22, 2015 at 6:24 am #

This blog is idiotic. Grow up.

23. Evelyn August 22, 2015 at 8:18 am #

1. Really? 2. REALLY????!!! 3. REALLY???????!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a mom of two and I could care less if one, two thee or a chihuahua was riding in the cart. Ok I’d be upset about the dog. There are RARELY stores with “single” car carts. You shouldn’t expect a mom who got to the store before you to give up her cart for you. Give me a break. Get over it.

24. Katy August 22, 2015 at 9:37 am #

To all the mom’s leaving posts about how this mom needs to get a life please take a quarter and purchase a mirror. SHE’s being too critical? SHE needs to get a life?

As a mother of four I’ve been on both ends of this. Little inconsiderations get to you when you’re swamped in life. Now that my youngest is four it’s easier to forget than parents with younger kids need extra consideration such as this cart thing going on here.

Thanks for this post. I take it as a reminder to be aware of extending an extra hand to moms who were me 3 years ago.

I also want to say that going from one to two kids was so challenging, and two to three kids was nothing short of a circus that tested my sanity. (After that nothing phases you)

Good luck take care and forget these other posts…coming from a mom who TOTALLY gets the need to rant every once in a while.

25. adb August 22, 2015 at 10:40 am #

Instacart.com
    it will solve your first world problem

26. Julia August 22, 2015 at 1:52 pm #

I never comment on these things, but seriously?? This is the most selfish and self entitled article I’ve read on here. The fact that you even spent the time to write and complain to other mothers about something like this makes me feel sorry for your kids.

27. PinkFeline August 22, 2015 at 3:35 pm #

I was going to tell you to get over it because my only child deserves the fun cart as much as anyone, but I see so many others have beat me to it.

If you want double carts like Costco, then you need to take it up with Whole Foods. The single kid has every right to a fun time playing in those car carts. First come, first served. Make your eldest or two eldest walk and train them to behave themselves. There’s no rule saying your kids have to be in carts.

28. Bob August 22, 2015 at 8:37 pm #

Just bring along some extra small distraction toys, like a stuffed animal… or hand them an old paper towel tube, put on your chipper-mom-voice and tell them it is a “special detachable airplane steering wheel!” they get to use on the “fun occasions of sitting in the single cart!”
    Sometimes it is best to teach your kids: When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. (Though, debatedly, this is such a 1st world problem it hardly qualifies as a overcoming-hardship lesson).
    Kids don’t have to have toys/entertainment ALL of the time. Let them not be distracted and look around at what the world has to offer. If they melt down over a cart, take the moment to discipline appropriately and turn it into a lesson of non-being-entitled. You aren’t doing them any favors by acting like the world owes them a special shopping cart.
    I am sorry to be so harsh. I apologize if I inadvertently overstepped. I don’t know you, always like to err on the side of caution, b/c you never know what battles a soul is facing.

29. Java_Junkie August 22, 2015 at 8:43 pm #

This article was shared on a girls group of amazing women and mothers of all ages, stages, and number of children. The overwhelming response is WTF! One of them made an excellent point about the mom’s in support stating that their kids have meltdowns over the carts not being available. The only thing that supports is the entitlement problem which seems to be sweeping the nation. You don’t always get what you want, and blaming someone else for that disappointment is not a lesson our kids need to be learning. To that end I’m pasting my comment from the group. It’s absolutely snarky because I’m pissed at the moment. The good news is I’m not writing a blog so I don’t have to be PC….or is this possibly an excellent example of entitlement??

“That’s all I can really say in response to this blog. I’m sorry you chose to have that many kids, and in that close an age range. If you’re going to blame others, then perhaps you should look to yourself. Did you think that when you went to the grocery store it would be with Stepford kids? There are plenty of blogs out there offering advice on how to make grocery shopping as pleasant as possible with children in tow. Should my son have to sit in a regular cart just because of my choice, while yours don’t because of your choice? Doesn’t that hint of just a little discrimination? The choices you make affect the outcome of your life, thus you will be that traveling circus until your kids are much older. I and my child should not have to have our lives affected by how many kids you choose to have. If it bothers you that much, ask WholeFoods to bring in more, or to have kid-size carts for your older ones. My (((three))) year old often uses those carts and (((helps))) me shop. There have also been plenty of times when the car-carts are all taken, but I don’t go giving the stink eye to those using them with only one kid.”

30. Cj August 23, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

Here a better solution: don’t go shopping with your kids. Problem solved.

31. SickofitMom August 23, 2015 at 5:42 pm #

This article should be titled “I have more kids than I can control and it’s everyone else in the world’s job to help me.” Sounds to me like this is more poor planning and poor parenting than other people’s behavior. I have ONE kid that rides in the cart, and he knows better than to open stuff we haven’t paid for.