The Ultimate Guide to Child Care, Preschool, and MDOs in New Orleans

Disclaimer: Each family should thoroughly investigate the available child care options in your area. In our New Orleans mom’s guide to daycare, we provided advice and guidance in selecting a daycare. In addition, a list of state licensed child care facilities is available on the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services website.

You asked; we answered. We have compiled a listing of New Orleans Metro area daycares, preschools, and Mother’s Day Out programs as recommended by you, New Orleans Moms!

Don’t see your favorite place on this list? Let us know and we’ll add them.

Keep in mind that many of these programs fill up fast and often have waiting lists.

Daycare Guide

Lakeview

Cub Corner at Mt. Carmel

Children’s Place

Carriage House (under 12 months only)

Lakeview Presbyterian Week Day School

First United Methodist Preschool

River Parishes

St. Charles United Methodist Church-Ormond

Riverbend Preschool and Child Care- Destrehan

Angels Among Us Childcare and Learning Center

Boutte Christian Academy

If you know of a daycare that we should add, please submit it by leaving a comment OR emailing lindsay {at} neworleansmomsblog {dot} com.

53 Responses to The Ultimate Guide to Child Care, Preschool, and MDOs in New Orleans

1. Laurie July 18, 2014 at 8:42 am #

We love our MDO and it’s not on the list. It’s Hosanna Christian Preschool and it’s in Mandeville. Thank you!

• Lindsay July 18, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Thanks, Laurie! I’m adding it in.

2. Jen July 18, 2014 at 9:17 am #

I have used Grace Lutheran for 3 years now and love it, just an fyi- it is in Lakeview, not Mid City! I don’t want them to get overlooked. Thanks!

• Lindsay July 18, 2014 at 9:39 am #

Thanks, Jen! I fixed it.

• Rachel November 19, 2014 at 3:47 pm #

Hi, can you tell me more specifically what you like about Grace? Thanks!

3. Jennifer July 18, 2014 at 9:36 am #

First United Methodist Preschool in Hammond, La. We take babies 6 months to ages 4 year old pre K! Have a low child/teacher ratio and wonderful Christian learning environment!

4. Nicole Fraser July 18, 2014 at 10:44 pm #

I’m the owner of Nurture Nannies. We’re based uptown and we’d love to be included.

Thanks!

5. Caroline July 24, 2014 at 1:40 am #

First United Methodist Church Little School in Covington

6. Shannon August 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

My boys (ages 3 and 1) both attend Townhouse Country Place Preschool in Mandeville and love it.

7. angela August 28, 2014 at 7:55 am #

I plan on sending my son to St. Martin, which is where his dad went. I don’t see it on the list. 🙁

• angela August 28, 2014 at 8:37 am #

Oh nevermind. I see it under George cottage. Sorry!

• Tab October 3, 2017 at 10:20 am #

How did you like George Cottage?

8. gina h September 1, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Why nothing in New Orleans East?

• Lindsay September 1, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

Hi! We haven’t received any recommendations from moms who have their kids in daycares in that area. We want to add some-please let us know if you or people you know have some in that area you’re proud to send your kids to. The goal of this list is to be a mama-approved, boots-on-the-ground reference, rather than just a list like someone can find in the phone book.

9. Page September 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

you missed Edison House at Metairie Park Country Day School

• Ashley September 21, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

It’s there – it’s the 5th listing under Metairie. They changed the name this fall with the new building!

10. Asha September 22, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

I have one that was not on the list. I recently visited Kidz Karousel in Mandeville; awesome school with great curriculum and teachers that have been there for a long time.

11. Dana December 23, 2014 at 1:12 am #

Are there any in Kenner that can be added?

12. Lea January 13, 2015 at 1:12 pm #

Has anyone used St. Georges Episcopal for the early childhood program? Do you know if the wait-list is long or if it is hard to get in?

• Jennifer January 15, 2015 at 4:48 pm #

We have our daughter at St. George’s and love it! We applied the spring before we had our daughter that November. She started at eleven months and has been happy as a lark. The methods they use to educate children are amazing. They have parenting conference several times a semester where I have learned so much including tips to challenge a one/two year old, raising a compassionate and confident child, and developing early literacy skills.

• katir January 30, 2015 at 2:53 pm #

Hi, im currently in contact with them for the fall for my 2 year old and they told me they have a bunch of applicants already for then but do not know at this time if he’d make the wait list.

• Lea January 30, 2015 at 3:39 pm #

When did you apply your two year old for the fall?

• katir January 30, 2015 at 4:05 pm #

Im sorry,i misread the school name. Thats not a place I’ve looked into. Good luck though!

• Kate Lynn January 30, 2015 at 2:56 pm #

Im in the process of setting up tours with St. martin on Metairie Rd, Kinder Haus and Metairie Ridge. Any feedback on those?

• Karen Jacobs February 1, 2015 at 8:35 pm #

I have my little one at Metairie Ridge and we have been really happy. The teachers are really kind and loving. It has been the PERFECT introduction to “school.” The day is just long enough that I can accomplish a lot of things but not too long for him. It is also a very inexpensive program (in my opinion) which was a plus for us.

• Kate Lynn February 1, 2015 at 10:19 pm #

Thanks! I spoke with someone there Friday and plan on calling back tomorrow to hopefully get in for a tour this week.

13. Melissa January 23, 2015 at 11:14 am #

A list like this for pre-schools would be awesome.

14. Jenna January 23, 2015 at 9:36 pm #

Atonement Lutheran School in Metairie is where my children have gone since 3 year old preschool. We love everything about this awesome school!
    Alcs.org
    The Open House is January 28th.

15. Sara January 24, 2015 at 8:20 am #

LaPetite in Metairie! We love it!

16. Nicole February 20, 2015 at 1:39 pm #

We have only part time need for child care. 2-3 days a week for half days. Any suggestions?

17. Jessica February 25, 2015 at 10:27 am #

Can you add Atonement Lutheran Preschool to the list? It’s in the Metairie/Kenner area.

Here is the website: http://www.alcs.org/preschool-general-information.html

My daughter loved it and was very prepared for Kindergarten. My son is in PreK4 and has the best teacher! She is constantly changing the classroom and activities to match what the kids are learning. I’m very impressed and my son is happy!

18. Kristin August 12, 2015 at 8:05 pm #

Our Lady of Prompt Succor in Westwego starts at PK3, still taking applications for fall!

19. Tessa holloway September 9, 2015 at 10:19 pm #

Can you please put Kidz Karousel at 1581 hwy 1088 in Mandeville to your list, we were voted best childcare center on the north shore by HULA. Web address is above. Thanks so much

• Lindsay September 13, 2015 at 10:04 pm #

Added!

20. Bambi Pichon September 9, 2015 at 11:40 pm #

Can you please add Bambi’s Kids Academy 1201W. 22nd Ave Covington.

• Lindsay September 13, 2015 at 10:04 pm #

Added!

21. Sarah September 16, 2015 at 2:59 pm #

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone knows of any French immersion daycares, either in home or institutional, or even any French caretakers at the recommended daycares on this list? The only one I know of in the area that takes kids younger than 3 is Ecole Bilingue, but I was wondering if there’s anything else. Thanks!!

22. Cassandra November 10, 2015 at 12:11 pm #

At what age did everyone begin submitting their applications to Pre-schools for their child?

23. Sarah January 17, 2016 at 1:03 pm #

Does anyone have a Westbank daycare that they love? Or has anyone used one of the nanny services in town?

• Roz December 17, 2016 at 6:41 am #

Hey Sarah did you find any nanny services on the westbank? I’m also looking.

24. Kim Ellis February 2, 2016 at 2:10 pm #

How can I get Cedarwood School on the Northshore list for Preschools? We are a Preschool-7th grade school. We are nationally accredited by SACS and NAEYC.

Kindest Regards,

Kim Ellism M ED
    Preschool Director

• Lindsay February 3, 2016 at 9:22 am #

Added!

25. Kristen October 5, 2016 at 4:22 am #

Anyone have any recommendations on a nanny available for an in home position in lakeview? Looking for someone with a lot of spirit and patience to care for our 2 month old in our home.

Thanks!

26. Cherisse November 1, 2016 at 10:55 pm #

An updated list would be great. Quite a few of the links no longer work. I have a 2 year old with Down syndrome. He will be 3 in Dec. Looking for a place to start in Jan….I would be okay with either a 2 year old or 3 year old program. Any suggestions?

• Lindsay November 1, 2016 at 11:07 pm #

Thanks for alerting us to the broken links. We are working on an update to this!

27. Jane November 13, 2016 at 9:22 pm #

I would also love an updated list on this. Baby is due in March and trying to figure out daycare options is difficult! Thanks for all the info already provided!

28. Marie January 6, 2017 at 4:38 pm #

John Curtis Christian School in River Ridge offers pre k 2 through 12th grade.

29. Amanda January 11, 2017 at 3:55 pm #

Does anyone know of a nanny sharing program in the Metairie area? I don’t even know if this exists but I’m looking for infant care in May and hiring a full-time nanny is a bit out of reach but sharing with another family would make this a more affordable option.

Or, how do I find a list of in-home or “family care” services where someone has a few babies in their own home?

• Rachael March 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

I know this was a few months back but my daughter goes to Metairie Kids World on Lake Villa in Metairie and we love it! We had a nanny part-time in Baton Rouge (where I work) but it too became out of our reach financially. They are very affordable and small like a in-home provider with a Type III learning environment. couldn’t say enough good things about them!

• Rachael March 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm #

Also, you can find a list of anyone registered with State here:

30. Ola February 9, 2017 at 11:04 am #

I need a daycare that accepts5 e olds for the summer. Help please!

31. Adrienne April 13, 2017 at 4:57 pm #

Please add St. Augustine Episcopal school in Metairie. 2yo-4yo programs. Very reasonably priced and great preschool environment!! Full and half day programs available staugustinesdayschool.weebly.com

32. Trudy September 19, 2017 at 4:12 pm #

Looking for day care for a beautiful 1 year old – for 8 weeks. Mid October – Mid December. Any suggestions or ideas?