Sink or Swim: A Guide to Swimming Lessons in New Orleans

Swimming lessons are a necessity in our house. We started with Water Babies at 10 months and have had multiple lessons every summer since then. So last summer my then two-year-old could swim across the pool on her own with no help and no goggles. Since then, there is no stopping her. She is a total water bug!

For me the importance of swimming lessons stemmed from two things. One, we live in south Louisiana. You basically cannot walk 10 feet without coming across a body of Swimming lessons in NOLAwater at any given point in the city. Secondly, I wanted to start early so she had a comfort level with the water at a very young age and did not develop a fear of it.

Plus, knowing that if she fell in a pool she could swim back to the side did have some built in assurance for me as a mom. I worry like anyone else does, but I know that she is prepared in the event that it happens.

There are many options to consider when determining a swimming lesson. For instance you can start off with a Water Babies class where a parent accompanies the baby into the water for an easy adaptation. Or, you can start off from the beginning with official lessons.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Photo Courtesy of Love Swimming

Then you need to consider if you prefer the lessons in a facility or in a home setting. There are many great facility options around the city but there are also many excellent swimming teacher who instruct from the pool in their backyard.

Lastly, think about if you prefer an indoor or outdoor pool for the lessons.

According to Love Swimming, one of our generous sponsors, when searching for the ideal place to take swimming classes, look for a school that specializes in making the lessons fun and effective. It’s essential that your swimmer wants to be there, that it’s something they look forward to and that it builds their skills while also developing self-confidence. At Love Swimming, swimming lessons is all they do, and they think it shows. Great lessons speak for themselves.

To help speed along the swim lesson research process, check out the swim lesson listing below of centers and instructors that have been recommended to me by moms who have tried them out.

Sink or Swim: A Guide to Swimming Lessons in New Orleans

Age: 3 and up

Facility: Indoor pool

Location: Treme 900 N. Villere Street, New Orleans

Phone: 504-658-3162

Age: 6 months and up

Facility: Indoor pool

Note: Additional outdoor pools will open this summer.

Jefferson Parish

Facility: Outdoor pool

Residential Pool Instructors

• Kellen Murphy

Ages: 2 and up

Location: Kenner near Power

Phone: 504-957-0101

Do you have any local businesses to add to the list? Please email us! Info {@}neworleansmomsblog {dot} com.

17 Responses to Sink or Swim: A Guide to Swimming Lessons in New Orleans

1. Keri R. June 12, 2014 at 11:41 am #

Harry’s Dive Shop starts babies at 6 months.

2. Georgia February 28, 2015 at 5:15 pm #

Do any of these instructors offer lessons for kiddos with special needs?

3. Sally Turnipseed April 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm #

Linzy, who did y’all use for swim lessons?
    Thx, Sally

4. Kelly April 13, 2015 at 6:18 pm #

South LA Swim Team offers Swim Lessons year round..Locations in Metairie, New Orleans, and Hammond. http://www.slst-seahorses.com/Home.jsp?team=laslst

5. South LA Swim Team April 13, 2015 at 6:19 pm #

6. blaire April 14, 2015 at 7:04 am #

7. blaire April 14, 2015 at 7:06 am #

You forgot the best lessons

8. blaire April 14, 2015 at 7:55 am #

Georgia,
    chexk this out:

9. KJ May 25, 2015 at 10:11 am #

does anyone offer lessons for 3 month olds?

10. Luke Smith March 8, 2016 at 9:48 pm #

I think that all kids should have swimming lessons. So that they can feel more comfortable in the water, and if they need to they can swim for their lives. I plan on putting my kids in swimming lessons when the time comes.

11. Pamela Stein April 18, 2016 at 4:21 pm #

I just wanted to warn other moms about Harry’s Dive Shop. My 3 year old was enrolled there and participated in 3 lessons, on the 3rd lesson the instructor had them all paddle to the deep end of the pool and sit on the the side of the pool to take turns going into the water. While working with the first child my 3 year old slipped into the water on accident. The instructor did not notice. Luckily, my husband and I both saw it happen and ran from the shallow end to the deep end of the very large pool and my husband had to jump in and pull him out. The instructor did not notice until my husband made it into the water and a manager only noticed because I was screaming while we ran. I feel that if we did not have our eyes on him and the moment he slipped in this all would have had a very different outcome. I just want to make sure other parents know about this and that they are cautious about who they use for swimming lessons and vigilant about watching their children around pools.

12. Dora May 11, 2016 at 2:17 am #

My son goes to Jewels pool on Barataria Blvd. She has years of experience

13. Marie July 15, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

Is there anyone out there that offers free lessons for 4 month olds?

14. Lydia August 15, 2016 at 9:51 pm #

We had a bad experience today at my 20 months old’s 2nd swim lesson. The instructor kept dunking him under the water even though he was hystetically screaming and clinging to her. He was terrified. Is this normal? I hope not. Any recommendations on facilities that do not teach this way?